The Montana Interscholastic Cycling League is a youth development organization working with the National Interscholastic Cycling League (NICA) as a Project League under NICA’s 501(c)(3) umbrella. The Montana League is dedicated to building relationships in Montana communities that help promote healthy lifestyles in middle and high school youth, grades 6-12, through the lifelong sport of cycling.
With 31 leagues operating across 30 states, NICA has very quickly established the foundation for cycling to become a mainstream interscholastic sport. NICA has shown that cycling can be used by schools to effectively engage adolescents, helping them confront and overcome the challenges of growing up in today’s complicated world. Moreover, by working with well-trained coaches to set and achieve physically and mentally demanding goals through a life-long sport, NICA is equipping today’s youth to become tomorrow’s leaders—both on and off the bike.
Unlike traditional school sports, the Montana League will provide athletic opportunity to student-athletes of all skill levels and all socioeconomic backgrounds. Any child who wants to participate is welcome to join their local team. If the child does not have proper gear or cannot afford to purchase equipment necessary to participate, the Montana League is dedicated to helping provide the necessary items through our network of community-based gear donations and scholarships.
Coming off our inaugural season, we couldn’t be more excited to continue building into 2020 and beyond. We came off the blocks as the largest first-year NICA league to date—no small feat considering the low population and large expanse of our great state. The stoke from the student-athletes, parents, and volunteers was contagious and the teams quickly hit their stride and built something truly special. It is hard to describe the intense focus and feelings that resonates off the fields of young riders as they prepare to race through the gauntlet of snow-fencing, cheering parents and teammates, and embark upon a short, yet grand adventure racing against their peers on the safe, beginner friendly, and extremely fun NICA-approved race courses.
Mission & Core Values
NICA’s five core values are fully integrated into the programs, resources and staff support for leagues, coaches and student-athletes. Improving fitness and wellness are at the center of NICA training and education. We are a youth development organization with a mission of building Strong Minds, Bodies, Character, and Communities through cycling.
- FUN: NICA inspires friendship, joy, adventure.
- INCLUSIVITY: EVERYONE should be able to participate in NCIA and feel welcomed, respected and supported. There are no try-outs; no one is “benched”.
- EQUITY: NICA is committed to fair treatment, equal access, opportunity, advancement, and elimination of barriers to encourage participation for all. Everyone contributes to the success of the team.
- RESPECT: NICA expects consideration for all others, oneself, and the outdoors
- COMMUNITY: NICA programs and leadership teaches student-athletes to work hard, respect others and give back to their teams, communities and the environment.
The Montana Interscholastic Cycling League will provide safe and high quality school-based mountain bike programs. The Montana League is responsible for establishing a climate where every youth is empowered to be part of a thriving and engaged cycling community. We’ll be working together to accomplish this vision by:
- Providing students with the coaching and camaraderie that will help them achieve difficult competitive and non-competitive goals in a safe and enjoyable manner.
- Creating an environment where they may discover new friendships and find role models.
- Helping students become athletes that are gracious and respectful to their coaches, peers, and community.
- Guiding students towards gaining new skills and disciplines, and the sense of accomplishment that comes with hard work.
- Fostering an attitude of appreciation and stewardship toward the use and care of trails and wild places.
- Promoting the value and benefits of cycling to our community as a life long sport.